The past couple weeks, specifically this past weekend has been a great reminder of what life's going to be like around here for the next 3-4 months, and we're going to need to find ways to stay warm and toasty!

If you're one of the lucky ones who have a fire place, you'll know doubt spark a couple fires this winter so you can feel your extremities when temps dip below zero outside. But if you don't have that luxury (especially at work) and you decide to use a space heater instead, fire officials are warning you to not plug it into an extension cord or a power strip.

Doing so is a major fire hazard, according to fire authorities. Here's a friendly reminder:

According to fire officials, these devices are not designed to handle the energy load of a space heater and can overheat, and even catch fire.

Heating elements inside a space heater can reportedly get up to more than 500°- 600°F. Residents should plug their space heaters directly into the wall, and always keep an eye on it when it's in use. If not, well then you're really playing with fire.

Also see: Rochester Fire Department Issues Clothes Dryer Advisory