St. Paul, MN (KROC-AM News) - Minnesota health officials suspect two recent cases of illness caused by salmonella bacteria were caused by exposure to a contaminated raw ground turkey food for pets that is the subject of a nationwide recall.

Both cases involved children in the Twin Cities where the turkey product was used to feed pets in their homes. One child’s illness resulted in a painful and serious bone infection that required hospitalization. In both cases, the DNA fingerprint pattern of the bacteria matched the strain found in samples of Raws for Paws Ground Turkey Food for Pets.

The contaminated product was produced on October 12 of last year and sold online through the company’s website. It was packaged in one pound and five pound sealed plastic tubes known as chubs that are shipped in cases with case codes
9900008, 9900009, 9900014 and 9900015. The lot codes and manufacturing dates are printed on the cardboard case labels.

For more information, visit the FDA website by clicking here.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, symptoms of Salmonella infection include diarrhea, abdominal pain, and fever. Symptoms usually begin within 12 to 96 hours after exposure, but they can begin as long as one or two weeks after a person is exposed to Salmonella bacteria. Infections usually resolve in five to seven days, but approximately 28 percent of laboratory-confirmed cases require hospitalization.

____________________________________________________________________

Get local and national news on the go.  Download our News-Talk 1340 KROC-AM App

http://krocam.com/app/ – available on Apple and Android devices.