Norovirus Outbreak Blamed for Four Deaths at Minnesota Veterans Home
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — A veterans' home in Minneapolis has put new admissions on hold after a norovirus outbreak that may have been a factor in the deaths of four residents.
In a statement, the Minnesota Department of Veteran Affairs spokeswoman Anna Lewicki Long says so far the virus has not been positively linked to the deaths at Minneapolis Veterans Home since March 7. She says they all had stomach illness symptoms as well as other complications.
She says they have sent samples to the Minnesota Department of Health and are waiting to hear the results. She says the virus is also an issue in the wider community, as happens annually.
Norovirus is highly contagious and can be picked up from an infected person, contaminated food or water or by touching contaminated surfaces.