Scotty’s Top Board Games to Play When It’s Too Darn Cold Out!
More like NovemBrrrrr, am I right? I haven't done any research or anything but this has to be one of the coldest November's on record, doesn't it? Granted I'm a father of two kids now, but it's definitely been hard to drum up any interest to go anywhere or do anything with anyone with it so damn cold outside. It's that time of year where you need more indoor activities to pass the time and not go insane with cabin fever.
Speaking of which, over Thanksgiving weekend we decided to invite the family over and play a good ol' fashioned board game! My wife's family loves to play board and card games. In fact over the extended weekend we actually played a couple of them.
In no particular order, here are my choices for Top Games to Play When It's Too Darn Cold Out:
- Monopoly - Everyone loves a good Monopoly marathon, don't they?
- Yahtzee - Another classic. This was one of the first games I ever learned how to play, and still a favorite of mine.
- Jenga - The best thing to do with this game is to invent new rules to play it! Like forcing players to wearing a winter glove as they choose their piece. Yep, now that's a challenge in itself.
- Battleship - One of my all-time favorites. Adults can easily turn this one into a fun drinking game. Don't believe me? Check these out...
- Cards Against Humanity - No explanation needed.
- Code Names - My in-laws got me hooked on this one recently. It's a social word game with a simple premise where two teams play against each other and compete to give one-word clues that can point to multiple words on the table. The team with the most points at the end of the round, wins. It's more fun to play with as many players as possible!
Here's what Code Names looks like in case you're interested in checking it out sometime:
All these games are found locally at Target, Walmart and some at Barnes & Noble.