‘Avengers: Endgame’ Had the Biggest Thursday Opening in History
Avengers: Endgame is already breaking box-office records.
Deadline reports that the 22nd Marvel movie is the first film of any kind to ever to crack $60 million in Thursday night preview sales. Despite its three-hour runtime, it easily passed all previous movies that went the Thursday early opening route.
Here are the previous highest Thursday night grossers, via Box Office Mojo:
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens - $50.0 million
- The Matrix Reloaded - $37.5 million
- The Hangover Part II - $31.6 million
- Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones - $30.1 million
- Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - $25.0 million
$60 million is a huge new record for Thursday night. Also, can we just pause for a moment to acknowledge what a massive juggernaut The Matrix Reloaded was back in the day? The franchise kind of fell apart, but wow; that was a thing. When you’re up there in Avengers and Star Wars territory on the box-office chart, that means something. Expect plenty more box-office records to fall between now and when Avengers: Endgame leaves theaters probably in a year or so.
Gallery — How Every Avenger’s Costume Evolved, Movie By Movie: