Faribault Fire Chief Says Be Safe this Thanksgiving
Faribault Fire Chief Dusty Dienst stopped by the KDHL AM Minnesota program Monday to give us some cooking safety tips. Dienst said 34 cooking fires have been reported in Faribault this year. Luckily all of them were contained to the pot or pan. Nationally the top cause of home fires is cooking.
Dienst says inattentiveness is the top reason the fires happen and having items that can burn too close to the cooking surface is the second top reason for fires in the home. With Thanksgiving here Dienst recommended people stay in the kitchen while cooking items on the stove top and checking items periodically being baked in the oven.
If a fire does occur the Faribault Fire Chief says :
- Don't use a fire extinguisher.
- Don't pour water on the fire.
- Place a lid over the burning pot or pan after turning off the burner.
- If the fire is in the oven turn the oven off and leave the door closed. Eventually it will burn itself out.
- Phone 9-1-1 and report the fire.