Ingredient in Peanut Butter Could be Deadly for Your Dog
Peanut butter is such a popular food to feed your dog. You might give it to them as a treat, bury their pill in it so they take their medicine, put it in their Kong, and if you make your dog homemade treats many recipes have peanut butter in them. The problem is that some kinds of peanut butter could have an ingredient in it that's deadly for dogs.
This deadly ingredient is xylitol. What the heck is xylitol?
- Candy, gums and mints
- Diabetic snacks
- Diabetic foods
- Baked goods (e.g., muffins, cakes, etc.)
- Dental products such as mouthwashes and toothpastes
- Certain prescription human medications (e.g., gabapentin, a pain medication)
- Certain prescription veterinary dental products
- Chewable, sugar-free multivitamins or prenatal vitamins
- Nasal sprays
- Over-the-counter medications (e.g., melatonin)
Dr. Lee also lists the signs of xylitol poisoning:
- Walking 'drunk'
- Not being able to get up or appearing very weak
- A racing heart rate
- Trembling or tremoring
In severe cases or with very toxic ingestions that can result in liver failure, the following signs can be seen:
- Elevated liver enzymes (based on blood work)
- Jaundiced gums
- Black-tarry stool
- Abnormal clotting (e.g., bruising)
- Abnormal mental activity
You can read more about xylitol poisoning HERE.
Source: Pet Health Network
Listen to Carly Ross on 106.9 KROC weekdays 12-2pm!