Largest Wheelchair Camp in the Nation is in Southeast Minnesota!
I'm not a huge "outdoor-loving" type of person but one of my favorite memories as a kid was sleeping in a cabin with brand-new friends at a summer camp in Iowa. I can't stand the thought of snakes being nearby but I loved nature in this camp setting and I know that financially, sending me to camp was tough for my family. In fact, it was so tough that there was one summer it wasn't possible because we just didn't have the money.
Southeast Minnesota Camp Exists for Individuals Facing Tough Challenges
I heard some news the other day that just outside of Rochester, Minnesota, a camp exists for individuals facing tough challenges. In fact, this camp has the largest wheelchair camp in the entire nation! This location near the Med City is a place where individuals and families with kids with special needs can come and experience the exact same thing that I loved so much as a kid. This place also provides a free camp for active military, veterans, and military families.
That place is...Ironwood Springs.
"I stand out when I sit down but here you don't, and you are part of the crowd and you are surrounded by people who understand you on a whole other level." - Samantha Schroth - Camper & Mentor
You can read more about the camps below but, for the first time ever, the camp is inviting the community to help provide transformational experiences for families by joining them for the Miracles Happen Gala on Thursday, April 13th at the Rochester International Event Center.
Be part of the gala and know that just by showing up, you are making camp financially possible for a kid or family this summer. Proceeds from the Miracles Happen Gala support programs for veterans and active duty military families to honor their service to our country, to provide accessible and impactful experiences for those living with a physical disability, and to continually provide resources and inclusive programming for families supporting loved ones who live with autism or with other developmental challenges.
Grab tickets now at the Miracles Happen Gala website here.
Learn More About Ironwood Springs Christian Ranch in Southeast Minnesota
The staff and volunteers at Ironwood Springs Christian Ranch work hard all year long to provide a variety of quality programs for individuals and families including the following focuses:
- Equine - Ironwood offers a variety of horse programs to fit the needs of individuals, groups, and families.
- Physical Challenges - youth and adults with physical challenges of all levels are invited to participate in sport-themed activities. Wheelchair Camp challenges campers to look beyond their disability while being coached and mentored by world-class Paralympic athletes. (See video below!)
- Cognitive Challenges - Ironwood's ConnectAbilities day and overnight camps provide a place for participants with cognitive or developmental disabilities to build life-long friendships in a welcoming community. Program content is designed to help participants connect with God and others through outdoor activities, music, arts & crafts, and therapeutic horse activities.
- Military - the military programs provide encouragement, hope, and inspiration to active military, veterans and their families. The retreats are free for all attending. All funding is provided by donations from businesses, organizations, and individuals.
- Family - Ironwood Springs programs and events help strengthen families by providing opportunities to reconnect with one another and get away from the busyness of life. It's also a chance to connect with other families that are going through a shared experience.
Learn more about the specific programs and dates offered at the Ironwood Springs Christian Ranch website here.
Townsquare Media cares about our community! Every year, we help the community in a variety of ways from supporting local fundraisers, to running daily public service messages, to creating digital community campaigns and hosting events attended by thousands.
Do you have a community event coming up or a fundraiser? Let us know! Contact us at email@example.com or fill out the form requesting more info at our Townsquare Cares page.