MDH Brings Back Free COVID Tests in Time for Flu Season
Minnesotans can now order four rapid at-home COVID-19 tests each month for free through the state health department while supplies last.
Why Order Free COVID-19 Tests?
- Help reduce COVID-19 spread by testing at home and getting results in just minutes.
- People who don’t have symptoms can still spread COVID-19, so testing is critical to knowing if you're infected.
- To stop the spread of COVID-19, many of us need to get tested regularly - even if we don't have symptoms. Along with vaccination, wearing a mask, hand washing, and physical distancing, frequent at-home testing protects families and friends, and it a great way to help in the fight against COVID-19.
- Know more, live safer, and get back to the people and things you love sooner.
Who should test?
Anyone age 2 and older can participate. Frequent testing is especially important for those with more exposure outside the home, such as kids in school or people who spend time in a group setting — whether vaccinated or not!
More About These Free Tests:
- Are rapid antigen at-home tests, not PCR
- Can be taken anywhere
- Give results within 15 minutes (no lab drop-off required)
- Work whether or not you have COVID-19 symptoms
- Work whether or not you are up to date on your COVID-19 vaccines
- Are also referred to as self-tests or over-the-counter (OTC) tests
Every home in Minnesota is eligible to order four rapid at-home COVID-19 tests once a month for free, while supplies last. You can order tests once per month, even if you have ordered tests in the past.
People using the test should follow testing instructions from the manufacturer.
Remember to check the expiration date on your test kit before using it and do not use tests that are expired. Note: Some tests have been granted extensions on their expiration dates, so you may be able to use it for longer than it says on the box.
16 Things That We Now Do Differently Thanks to the Pandemic
Gallery Credit: Jessica Williams