Minneapolis Man Sentenced For Killing Owatonna Man
Minneapolis, MN (KROC-AM News) - A Minneapolis man was sentenced today for killing an Owatonna man in what was initially reported as an act of self-defense.
25-year-old Travis Leonard was given a five-year prison term for a manslaughter conviction connected to the death of 23-year-old Dylan Lattery on September 24, 2020. He was found lying facedown in Leonard’s North Minneapolis home after he had been fatally shot in the back and the back of his head. Leonard was the person who called 911 to report the shooting, which he claimed occurred after he confronted an intruder inside his house the night of September 24, 2020.
Leonard was arrested and charged with second-degree murder and first-degree manslaughter after his wife told investigators her husband had the victim pinned to the floor and was beating him up when he asked her to bring him his gun from their upstairs bedroom. The criminal complaint says investigators also found a large quantity of packaged marijuana and about $13,000 in cash in the residence while investigating the fatal shooting. It was also determined that Wade knew Lattery from previous drug transactions.
Below is an excerpt from the criminal complaint
Court records indicate Leonard later admitted shooting Lattery during a struggle that occurred after the Owatonna man appeared in the doorway of his bedroom. He also admitted placing the hatchet back in the victim's hand before calling 911. Leonard previously admitted to a first-degree manslaughter charge through a plea agreement that resulted in the dismissal of a second-degree murder charge.