MnDOT Announces Over 230 Construction Projects Scheduled For 2022
St. Paul, MN (KROC-AM News) - Construction season is getting underway in Minnesota and MnDOT has released more than 230 construction projects that are planned for the 2022 construction season.
The planned 2022 construction projects across Minnesota include 184 road and bridge projects, plus 51 multimodal projects that will improve airports, water ports, and transit infrastructure.
“Minnesotans will soon see work zones popping up throughout the state,” said MnDOT Interim Commissioner Nancy Daubenberger. “Each of these projects represents an investment in a more efficient and reliable transportation system for all people. As always, safety is MnDOT’s top priority – so we urge motorists to pay attention to signage in work zones, slow down, and put away distractions behind the wheel. Everyone, including our hardworking road and construction workers, deserves to get home safely.”
For an entire overview of the 2022 Minnesota state construction program, including maps and full projects lists visit the MnDOT website. Individual projects pages also include information about construction schedules, traffic impacts, maps, benefits, and projects costs.
You can find some of the significant projects across the state scheduled for 2022 and the list of projects scheduled in southeast Minnesota below.
Significant Minnesota Road Construction Projects in 2022 Include:
- Continuing work on Highway 52 between Zumbrota and Cannon Falls including reconstruction of southbound lanes, a new Highway 52/Highway 57 interchange, and completing a new Goodhue County Road 14 connection near Cannon Falls.
- Now in year two of a three-year project, work will also include replacing three bridges, adding new frontage roads, new reduced conflict intersections, and building a noise wall and install a snow fence.
- Beginning a two-year reconstruction of Highway 10 in Anoka, including replacing and repairing bridges to improve traffic flow, safety and providing better pedestrian and bicycle access.
- Completing the two-year I-94 and I-35E project in St. Paul, including resurfacing, repairs to ramps and frontage roads, improved drainage and upgraded storm sewers, bridge rehabilitation, and improved pedestrian sidewalks.
- Resurfacing Highway 77 between Bloomington and Minneapolis to provide a smoother ride, improve drainage and accessibility.
- Beginning a three-year reconstruction of Highway 169 in Elk River, including four new interchanges that will improve traffic flow, increase capacity and improve motorist and pedestrian safety.
- Continuing work on the multi-year Twin Ports Interchange project in Duluth to enhance safety by eliminating blind merges and left exits, replacing aging infrastructure and improving freight mobility.
- Improving 12.5 miles of Highway 23 from Foley to Milaca including resurfacing, a new roundabout in Foley, replacing and repairing drainage infrastructure, and improving intersections to improve safety and drainage.
- Beginning the final stretch of expanding Highway 14 between New Ulm and Nicollet. When finished in 2023, this project will expand 12.5 miles of Highway 14 from two lanes to four lanes, and complete a continuous four-lane road between New Ulm and Rochester that will improve capacity, safety and access along the corridor.
- Constructing an overpass bridge on Highway 29 near Glenwood, including a new roundabout at Highway 29/160th Street, and switching traffic to the new alignment of Highway 55. Year two of construction begins April 11.
- Improving Highway 212 in Glencoe includes the construction of two reduced conflict intersections, installation of a permanent snow fence, and improved pedestrian access and safety.
- Resurfacing and improving safety on Highway 71 north of Bemidji with eight redesigned intersections
MnDOT Projects Taking Place in Southeast Minnesota Area
- Highway 14 east of Rochester to the west of Chester. Eastbound and westbound lanes of Hwy 14 will be resurfaced from the east side of Rochester to the west of Chester. Scheduled for construction from May to October 2022
- Highway 14 Intersection Safety Improvement. MnDOT will evaluate 3 intersections in the Highway 14 corridor for modifications to improve safety between Rochester and Byron. Scheduled for construction in 2022.
- Highway 14 Owatonna To Dodge Center. The four-lane expansion is scheduled to be completed in 2022.
- Highway 30 Rushford - Highway 30 will be reconstructed from the west side of Rushford to Highway 43. Scheduled for construction in 2022
- Highway 43 Winona - Reconstruction of .5 mile of Hwy 43 (Mankato Ave.) from Sarnia St. to the south of Highway 61. Improvements are planned for key intersections along Highway 43: Sarnia St., Frontenac Dr., Riverbend Rd., Bruski Dr., and Highway 61/Highway 14. Scheduled for construction in 2022
- Highway 52 Corridor Projects St. Paul to Rochester - Four different road construction projects are planned for Highway 52 between Rochester and St. Paul. Construction underway: 2020 - 2024
- Highway 57 Kasson - Reconstruction of Highway 57 in Kasson Scheduled for construction in 2022
- Highway 61 Wabasha to Minnesota City - Resurfacing southbound lanes, constructing a reduced conflict intersection at Highway 42, and replacing approach panels on six bridges. Scheduled for construction in 2022
- I-90 West of Stewartville - Resurfacing approximately 8.6 miles of I-90 eastbound from 2.5 miles east of Mower Co. Rd. 1 to .9 miles east of Hwy 63 in Olmsted County. Scheduled for construction in 2022.
- Highway 105 Austin to Iowa Border - Highway 105 will be resurfaced from the Iowa border to Turtle Creek in Austin. Scheduled for construction from August - October 2022
You can find the full list of MnDOT projects in southeast Minnesota for this year and more here.