Officials from Olmsted County and The City of Rochester Say You Need to Chill
An Excessive Heat Warning has been issued for Rochester from noon today through 7:00pm. Heat indices are expected to be between 100 and 110 today. At 7:00PM tonight a Heat Advisory goes into effect and runs through 7:00 PM tomorrow night. Heat indices on Saturday are expected to be in the 95 to 105 range. This kind of heat is very dangerous - Half an hour of exposure could result in heat related illnesses.
Due to extremely hot weather predicted the City of Rochester, Olmsted County Public Health Services, and Olmsted County Emergency Management sent out a press release encouraging people to chill and sharing ways to beat the heat:
- Rochester Public Transit is offering free rides on Friday and Saturday. This will allow residents who need transportation an easy method to get to a cool place. Just tell the bus driver you are taking the free offer for “A Cool Place to Be.”
- Take a trip to the pool - Foster-Arend is a free swimming area for a cool dip.
- Foster Arend Beach hours are 12 Noon – 8:00 pm daily.
- Soldiers Field Pool: Noon to 5 PM on Thursday; Noon to 8 PM on Wednesday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday ($1 off admission on Friday)
- Silver Lake Pool: Noon to 8 PM on Thursday; Noon to 5 PM on Wednesday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday ($1 off admission on Friday)
- Go shopping - big box stores, shopping centers, and other retail stores are cool inside
- Watch a movie - a cool get-a-way can be found inside an air-conditioned theater
- Read a book - Rochester Public Library offers cool places to read and beat the heat. RPL is open on Monday - Thursday 9:30 am - 9:00 pm, Friday 9:30 am - 5:30 pm, and Saturday 9:30 am to 1:30 pm
And don't forget to drink plenty of water!