You shouldn't put the containers in the dishwasher after use, either.

Parents may or may not want to think twice before going ahead and nuking their children's left overs in the microwave for the foreseeable future because the American Academy of Pediatrics has raised concerns about food additives from chemicals within plastic containers.

According to an article from USA TODAY, heating plastics (including bottles) in a microwave or running them through a dishwasher, the AAP says, increases the chances of dangerous chemicals leaking from the plastic and finding their way into children's food. It's being suggested that instead of plastic containers, instead use glass to heat up their food inside the microwave.

Obesity, autism, attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), and limited muscle mass and bone strength have all been linked to prolonged exposure to these additives and can also potentially impact brain development.

I'm certainly guilty of constantly using plastic containers to hold my kids leftovers, and then tossing them into the microwave to eat up. I'll definitely be more conscience moving forward, that's for sure.

Also see: "Uncle Jesse" to Perform at This Years Minnesota State Fair!