There's always something when it comes to kids doing challenges. I was a teen once, I remember what it was like. There was the pranks. There was the challenges, like eating a spoonful of cinnamon, or trying to eat cracks with peanut butter and whistle at the same time, etc. But this challenge is dangerous. Teens are eating tide pods and spitting the detergent out. Add the component of social media - they're uploading videos to YouTube of themselves doing it. I was completely oblivious to it until my niece posted a status that she had seen some videos of teens eating Tide Pods. I thought it had to be a joke. But NOPE. It is not a joke.

YouTube is cracking down though and flagging the videos due to the potential risks and harm it can cause. There is a warning from the Consumer Product Safety Commission released in 2013 about poison dangers of the laundry packets. Let's hope that teens are going to stop doing the Tide Pod challenge but if you run across one that takes the risk, here's what CPSC says:

If swallowed or exposed to the eye:

  • immediately call Poison Help at:1-800-222-1222 in the United States; or in Australia, call the Poisons Information Centre on: 13 11 26.
  • if swallowed, rinse as much of the detergent as possible from the mouth.
  • if exposed to the eye, flush the eye with water for at least 15 minutes.

Source: https://www.cpsc.gov/id/node/21653