10 Things You Shouldn’t Do At A Minnesota Garage Sale
Garage sale season is my favorite time of the year. I love scoping out the inventory and getting good deals. Recently, I've been researching ways to save money and do projects myself. Garage sales are a money saver's best friend. For pennies on the dollar you can actually find some hidden treasures. It's safe to say I've been to my fair share of yard sales...and without fail, I always witness people breaking some of the unwritten rules of garage sales...so, I thought I'd make it easy on everyone and put those rules into writing. Here are the rules of yard sales.
1. You shouldn't pay with a check. No offense, but a garage sale is all about cash and change. Gather up your penny collection and put it to good use or hit up an ATM.
2. You shouldn't mess up the clothing table. If you do, you should politely fold the clothes back up. Remember, you're at someone's home.
3. You should not put things into someone else's free box. The garage sale host is trying to get rid of things, not collect more stuff.
4. You shouldn't let your children play with all of the toys. If your child seems interested in a particular toy, then buy it or move along. A garage sale isn't a free playground.
5. Don't walk on the lawn. It's just common courtesy. 'Tis the season for planting new grass.
6. Don't park in front of the mailbox or in their driveway. This one should be obvious.
7. Don't negotiate an already super cheap price. I totally encourage you to negotiate prices, but when something is marked down at 15 cents...it seems a little insensitive to offer them 5 cents. They're trying to make money, not give it all away for free.
8. Don't ask them to deliver things to your house. If you're buying a bigger item and the garage sale host doesn't offer to deliver it for you, don't ask.
9. No, you can't bring an item home an pay later. I've had people ask me if they could take something home with them and then bring money back later. It's not that I don't trust you, it's that I don't trust you. You should always pay up front and pickup later.
10. You can't return something just because you regret it. You bought a super cute area rug, brought it home and realized you didn't love it as much as you thought you would? Well, it's yours now, Pam!
Happy garage sale season!